Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1)

by Michelle Hodkin
Pages: 452
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books
You wake up with no memory of the last few days.
Your friends were killed in an accident that you miraculously survived.
Your family has to move to another state to escape the fallout.
You meet a mysterious boy who seems to know more about your past than you do.
You start seeing things that can't possibly be there.
You are afraid you are losing your mind.

Can you keep it together?
Mara Dyer is about to find out.
WTF did I just read.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is the most mind-fucked book you can read. From the beginning you get this letter from "Mara Dyer" that gives information but you don't know what to do about them. Reading on, you get that hey, her friends died and she survived and she's moving away and she starts getting crazy but not crazy. What can I tell you about this book that will not spoil it?

Mara Dyer is a likable character. She has this snarky side and she can stand up for herself which I found very refreshing. One side of me thinks she's crazy and she needs help but the other side of me thinks she completely sane--for now.

Hrmm alright now her relationship with Noah. Um, yes, they are perfect together. But I don't know, I loved whenever they saw each other they bantered and I loved that! But then they got closer and then that banter stuff just died away and I really missed that! And their relationship just became so ehh... for me by then but I was trying to convince myself they were still adorable together--don't get me wrong, they still had very adorable scenes, but yeah, I should stop it, that they will banter adorably again--I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Alright but why couldn't this book have more creepy scenes in it! I was waiting for something drastic to happen and that freaking ending like ADLKFJAL; no kidding I wanted to scream AKDFLAJ;DSJA into the air somehow! The story itself focused too much on romance  and the actual goodness on the sidelines waiting to come in.

This book will play with your head and it will not be a fun experience.


My Rating:
Too wonder, too wonder whether (or not) to pick up the second book. Decisions, decisions.

7 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to start this series forever after seeing people rave about it, but for some reason still haven't. Maybe this year will be the year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I have heard a lot of good as well as bad stuff (mostly about the love interest, I think) so I'm not sure whether I want to read this, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard sooo many things about this series. It seems like a lot of people really really like it. Looks like you had a great time with it! I should for sure get to reading it. Maybe I'll make it my book club's next pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried reading this one but gave up on it because I was so confused xD After this positive review and so many others I definitely want to give the book another shot :) I also thought there needed to be less romance and more other stuff xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read a lot of good reviews for this series need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested in how this book messes with my mind! I won't go into it with too many expectations though. I do like romance so maybe that part won't bother me too much. If you do read the second book I look forward to reading your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I WANT TO READ THIS SO BAD. It's not even a genre I usually read but the cover just looks so amazing asfsdkhj;

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^