Monday, January 20, 2014

Manga: Death Note

Death Note
by: Tsugumi Ohba , Takeshi Obata
Genres: Action, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Supernatural, Psychological, Shounen
Others: Anime [CLICK HERE]
Light Yagami is an ace student with great prospects--and he's bored out of his mind. But all that changed when he finds the Death Note, a notebook dropped by a rogue Shinigami death god. Any human whose name is written in the notebook dies, and now Light has vowed to use the power of the Death Note to rid the world of evil. Will Light's noble goal succeed, or will the Death Note turn him into the very thing he fights against?
Finishing this series is like:
MIND + INTERNAL FEELINGS + INTERNAL ORGANS = NUCLEAR BOMB.
Death Note is a really big mystery that you have to think and constantly gorge through the volumes until you are at the very end and you find this ending and all that came from it and it's just totally unexpected. 

Light Yagami is the main character in this story. Some can protest his views of the world is good and some can say that he is bad. Whether it is or isn't is up to you to decide! 

L. is one of the people trying to catch Kira (A.K.A. Light). 
His unusual behaviors and eating habits earned a place in my heart. <3 (*insert giant paragraph of why I love him so much don't forget the squeeling*)

The artwork in this series was quite a pleasure to read from.
The drawings looked realistic but at the same time, still a bit manga looking. 

The only thing that put me off of this series was when you get to see through each of the characters mind and their strategic thinking. Though I enjoyed reading about it, sometimes it dragged down the storyline--but still it was necessary. 

Death Note came real close to being a favorite of mine. There is this one aspect that questions you the whole entire series and after as well: Is Kira good or bad?



Overall Rating:

10 comments:

  1. Do you follow Alison Can Read's blog?? She has a Manga Monday every week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, DEATH NOTE! It is indeed a manga that can turn one's mind into a nuclear bomb. When I read the first volume, I couldn't stop and finished the series within a week. Lord only knows the torture readers had to go through during the time it was still publishing. I really enjoyed all of the strategy and planning involved in the series. It made everything just so tense and unpredictable. You didn't know who was going to ultimately be a step ahead.

    Like you, there were a few things that I disliked, however. I felt that the women in the manga were portrayed in a very sexist way-- only made as tools for the males to use. And while the battle between L and Kira was very thought-provoking and left you feeling conflicted, some of the impact was lost when Kira began to kill off innocents.

    But for the most part, Death Note is just amazing. As for the question of whether who in the battle was right, well, I can't really answer that. L and Kira had different ideas of justice, and each one does have its flaws. Kira's (before he started to become corrupted with greed and cruelty) allowed for a society with less crime by immediately killing people off with no questions asked, while L's gave people a chance and went through a system that was just.

    Great review, Delaney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this one sounds good. Everyone has been trying to get me to read/watch it but for some reason I keep putting it off. I really like the sound of the character's motives kind of being open to interpretation. The artwork looks good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched the anime but have not read the manga of Death Note (and am not sure if I will because I had issues with Light. I did not agree with what he was doing at all, though he's an interesting antihero). L was my favourite too! Such a unique and fascinating character.

    That ethical dilemma with Kira was very fascinating, though I'd say he's evil (it started of "righteous" at first, but then turned into a thing of power. He wanted to be a god, dominate the world. By killing people so I'd say definitely evil. Even if he was killing those members of society he believed were bad people, there's still the chance they were wrongly imprisoned/there may be more to how they got in there/many decision that challenge the morality of capital punishment that is really to deep to go into. Basically--I do not think killing people was the right thing to do. I mean, just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard about Death Note quite a lot but I don't really think it's my type of anime / manga. I don't know, I don't really like the artwork or the synopsis of the series. I think if I ever do try it, it'll be the anime. Great review, Delaney!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I own only the firs two volumes. I watched most of the anime but never finished. I got to the second person... Nero I think? The one who likes games. I still need to finish the series but I know what happens at the end. I agree that the artwork is fantastic and is basically the same as the anime it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "MIND + INTERNAL FEELINGS + INTERNAL ORGANS = NUCLEAR BOMB." *YEP* I kinda hated the creators for THAT ending.... But I still <333 the whole thing - esp. Kira and Ryuk and -of course - L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha I love Death Note though I've only actually watched that Anime haha. It seems like a manga you would like and you're right and L is just overall awesome! The artwork in the manga is really good it actually made me want to read it because it always annoys me when I come a across a manga and the story sounds okay but I hate the drawings. Ugh... it's really is just an explosion of confusion and awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the anime. It's my favorite and it's just so perfect and I can't even. L is my baby. *sobs* I read I think the first manga volume, but I preferred the anime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to read more manga this sounds so good I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^