Saturday, December 14, 2013

Eleanor & Park

by Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 328
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
TWO MISFITS. ONE EXTRAORDINARY LOVE.

eleanor…Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough…Eleanor.

park…He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises…Park.

Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds--smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.
That ending does not feel satisfying at all.

Eleanor and Park starts off with Eleanor being the new girl and Park finally sharing his bus seat for her to sit down.

Eleanor half the time I was okay with her and the other half I enjoyed reading about her and her life. She has a very terrible lifehood and that makes her shut off help from anyone. So when she slowly opens her heart to Park, I was just so happy for her, because I know telling someone is hard, and you never know when is right.

Park was more the enjoyable part to read, but like any real life people, they are never enjoyable. He was a very sweet guy like can I have everything he is saying bottled up somewhere so I can keep and know that no guy will ever say those things to me?

Maybe it was because I was expecting some totally different storyline that it disappointed me. When I thought I would feel happy that they got together, I didn't feel any electric spark, I didn't feel it. I really wish I got to see more of Park's side because it felt like more of the main character was Eleanor…which I didn't want..I wanted both sides equally so I can get to know them both equally.

What was totally refreshing about this book was that it was so real. I can just see these people as my classmates, in my neighborhood, that person standing in line at the supermarket. Everybody's life is flawed, they aren't easy to handle, and they can be strong but actually are very fragile.



My Rating:

And Park: there are plenty of hot Asian guys out there : K-pop idols, anime characters… ;D

22 comments:

  1. I agree... I think the people in this book do read as real people.. someone I could've went to school with. It just goes to show you never know what is happening in someone's home life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Everyone doesn't have a perfect family. When I was small, I used to think that, but as I grew to understand and people started telling me their problem, I realize that is not so.

      Delete
  2. "Everybody's life is flawed, they aren't easy to handle, and they can be strong but actually are very fragile." <-- I completely agree. Eleanor & Park tells a story that is real and has characters that are real. It's a brutally honest book and that's what I love about it... And I also love Eleanor and Park's romance (I felt the sparks), because I'm a romantic :P

    It is true that Eleanor & Park took a different route in the story than what it presented itself to be. The synopsis makes the book seem like a light romance with a bit of Romeo and Juliette mixed in it, instead of a romance story with tough topics (abuse, bullying) mixed in. I liked the story Eleanor & Park actually told a lot, though, even if some may not agree.

    Yes, Park is very swoon-worthy. When he's holding Eleanor's hand and comparing it to a butterfly? *melts into puddle of d'awwws* But, I have to say that Eleanor's point of view was my favorite. I don't know, there is something about her red-headed, scarf-on-wrist-wearing self that made me adore her.

    "That ending does not feel satisfying at all." <-- You know how I said that Eleanor & Park was very real? I think the ending is what reflects that the most. I admit that it might have not been satisfying in the typical sense, but it was poignant and hopeful, while still showing that life can be painful.

    As always, great review, Delaney! I love that you had a different perspective of the book than me, since it allowed me to do some talking/friendly debating (I like debating, haha). Anyways, I hope that your next read is a super awesome, so you can feel more satisfied :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do realize the ending is very real, but I just couldn't accept it--you know? Like I understand that this whole book is very realistic and I liked that, but I just couldn't force myself to like this book--I just couldn't.

      But I am always glad that people enjoyed a book that I didn't because that just means, my opinion is much of a minority and i believe every author (whether I like their books or not) should always, always, keep on writing.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to read this book! I've heard such great things about it, and I want to give it a shot. I loved Fangirl, so I'm hoping this book is just as great. I'll definitely have to pick it up soon. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will definitely enjoy it. Everyone can, just if you love it is the question. ^^ I want to pick up FANGIRL so much!!! XD

      Delete
  4. I want a boy like Park too who will say all those sweet stuff to me which I'll keep as quotes and frame them up in one part of my heart <3

    Lovely review, Delaney! I actually cried at the ending because it was too unsatisfactory and unexpected for me, and strangely, that bumped it up from 4 stars to a 5-- I've got no idea why I did that, but sometimes I'm just weird like that ><

    AND MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO! WISHING YOU LOTS OF GOOD BOOKS AND HAPPINESS :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha weird is good, Sel! I can know why you would but it gave me a more negative feel to it. TT ^ TT It sucked to have such a negative feeling toward this beautiful written book. TT ^ TT

      AWW THANK YOU, DARLING! <33

      Delete
  5. Well the realness of the characters and their situations sounds great. I think I might be expecting what you did just because of all the hype Eleanor & Park have been getting.

    You never really think about what other people's lives are really like behind closed doors. I kind of worry about your ending to your review. Is this going to be more heartbreaking than I expect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying ignore the hype. I knew it was a bittersweet romance but i felt like it wasn't even THAT. It all was very misleading. TT ^ TT

      Well, it is heartbreaking, that ending was. And if you adored them both from the beginning then it will be even more heartbreaking for you because you were so attached to them, but it you were okay with them, then it won't be that heartbreaking, get me?

      Delete
  6. sounds like a good book, I didn;t really know what i wanted for christmas--only good books! That's very specific, right? I realized that I have a good friend that indirectly gave my ideas. Thanks for the ideas!
    P.S.:Yo mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REAL specific, Josh. XD But that's okay, you can find some really awesome books out in B&N (even though the employees are meanies).

      Of course it's my mama. XD

      Delete
  7. Awesome review, Delaney! I just adore your quirky prose! ^^ And I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the book as much as you would have wanted, but the part of how you say this book is real is definitely true. This book tackles on so many tough subjects!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the realness to it, so i didn't hate it all the way to the grave. ^^

      OMGOSH GRACE YOU ARE BAAACK!!!! *GLOMPS!* *TACKLE TO THE GROUND AND TICKLE YOU UNTIL YOU LAUGH AND YOUR STOMACH HURTS*

      Delete
  8. I gave this one around 3 1/2 stars as well, the ending did not work for me at all. But you are right about the characters and the realism :) You should try Fangirl, I enjoyed that one much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I wasn't the only not feeling that ending. TT ^ TT
      I want to! That title is not to grab for…and that yaoi looking cover. XD

      Delete
  9. I would never be interested in this book if it wasn't for the hype. I hope I will love it as much as everybody else though...I don't usually like this kind of contemporary. But Delaney IT'S NICE TO READ YOUR REVIEW AGAIN <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do too! Hype is pretty good at forcing people to either read or not to ever read the book (case in point: victim A--->Delaney)

      AWW, IT'S NICE TO SEE YOU STARTING TO BLOG MORE, KEZIA!! <3

      Delete
  10. " plenty of hot Asian guys out there : K-pop idols, anime characters… " LOL. I haven't read Eleanor&Park (not sure I'd like it... sounds a little too real for my taste...) but I'm going to start Fangirl next week. #excited :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more leaning toward anime/manga guys. XD Well if you like realism, it's nice and fresh is what I think, then you'll like it. Oh I can't wait to hear your thoughts of Fangirl! I'm wondering whether to get it or not.

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^