Saturday, December 7, 2013

Anime: Natsume Yuujinchou

Natsume Yuujinchou
Genres: fantasy, supernatural, slice of life
Others: manga [link for scans] 
Watch: SEASON 1-3 SEASON 4
Since he was young, Natsume Takashi has been able to see youkai, but keeping this ability a secret has now become a heavy burden for him and has made his life difficult.

This begins to change when Takashi inherits his grandmother's "Book of Friends." He discovers that she, Natsume Reiko, shared the same ability as him and starts to understand why he was always targeted by both good and bad youkai.

After learning the true meaning behind the Book of Friends, which allows him to manipulate the spirits listed within its pages, Natsume undertakes a journey with his bodyguard, the infamous spirit Madara, to free the spirits of their contracts with Reiko.
This is the heartwarming story of how Natsume Takashi became to accept who he is.

Natsume Takashi is this sweet guy who likes to help out the youkai and grows to love their company. ^///^ He has a terrible past to watch--from being bullied, called a liar, to feeling like he didn't belong anywhere. And the fact that the very thing that made him feel like he didn't belong anywhere, made him realize he belonged somewhere.
I just have to mention Nyanko-sensei!<3 He takes the form of the lucky cat and loves food and sake--what's not to love? I wanted to eat all the food and snacks he was eating! XD Even though he only sticks around Natsume to get the Book of Friends, I felt like he grew to really care for Natsume.
Every episode in this series is like a single story to itself, but at the end of the whole series, it all rolled up to this neat ball of fuzziness. Some of the episodes will pull on your heartstrings--so many are forbidden love written right!--and some are heartwarming/gush-worthy.

If you are familiar with the movie Hotarubi no Mori e, this is from the same creators and you might be familiar with the art and animations:  simple but beautiful.

My ship:

P.S. My other anime reviews aren't going to be in this format. ^^

20 comments:

  1. Omg that little neko is so cute :3 This seems like a cute anime and I think I'll watch it sometime. Great review, Delaney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes his is. >__< You should, but if you have much more anime on your list, this one will take a while to finish with 3 seasons it has, but still worth it.

      Delete
  2. I think the art work is beautiful! I love the first picture by the water. Reminds me of Final Fantasy X. Thanks for posting a link to the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover picture is definitely gorgeous. There were so many to pick from I picked that one because it was my favorite one. ^^

      Delete
  3. Oh I SO need to watch this! Or read it, whichever. I love a good manga. Great review! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good manga and good anime is good for the soul and good books too. ^^

      Delete
  4. This anime kind of reminds me of Spirited Away! Gah, that second gif is so cute :3 I'll have to add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i know!--with the whole spirit stuff, huh? Yes please, add it to your list. ^^

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge fan of the manga, so I really need to watch the anime sometime. I would love to see the heartwarming and simple story of the manga come to life in the anime! Oh, and NYANKO-SENSEI! Cutest lucky cat ever.

    Btw: I approve of letting that ship sail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a little of the manga and it seems to follow the anime very much. ^^ Though of course they continued it on while the manga is still ongoing.
      O _ O
      YES! Nyanko-sensei is freaky adorable and his attitude is much appreciated. ^^

      YAY! I'm glad you are letting the ship sail!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love the art for this gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natsume is such a sweetheart! ~ Helping spirit friends and trying to feel like he belongs somewhere. I'm going to so binge on this anime when finals are over. I need a feel good story in my life although I'm sure there are many ups and downs. I really like that every episode is like a single story - makes me want to watch it even more and Nyanko just takes the cake <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natsume is my new crush. > 3 < It is very feel good but there are times when it just breaks your heart. TT ^ TT Having single story for each episode somehow I love how they put it together like that.

      Haha, and yes, Nyanko. <3

      Delete
  8. Aw, Delaney, I love coming to your blog! You're always reading/watching/featuring something I love. And Natsume Yuujinchou is one of my HUGE favorites. I love Natsume, Tanuma (I SHIP them, too) and Natori san (I ship Natsume with him as well) so much, and Nyanko sensei OF COURSE "he grew to really care for Natsume" yes, and they will grow even more closer in the later chapters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO SHIPS THEM! I ship him more with Tanuma then with Natori…sorry Natori. XD Aww I wish I can see Natsume and Nyanko grow closer!<--I haven't read the manga. : (

      Delete
  9. I love the lucky cat-- it's so cute! Haha is your ship the canon pairing? I always find myself shipping the non-canon ones :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a canon pairing, I just wanted them together cause they are adorable. ^^

      Delete
  10. This is my favorite anime and you watched it and you are now my new best friend hi

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^