Monday, November 4, 2013

It's Kind of a Funny Story

by Ned Vizzini
Pages: 444
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2007
Publisher: Miramax Books / Hyperion
First lines:
"It's so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself. That's above and beyond everything else, and it's not a mental complaint--it's a physical thing, like it's physically hard to open your mouth and make the words come out. They don't come out smooth and in conjunction with your brain the way normal people's words do; they come out in chunks as if from a crushed-ice dispenser; you stumble on them as they gather behind you lower lip. So you just keep quiet."
"You could have left them all behind but you chose to stay here.So now live for real, Craig. Live. Live. Live. Live.
Live."
Craig is depressed. He has feelings of killing himself but at the same time he wants to live. He has so much pressure of everyone around him that he wants to take his own life. Instead, he gets sent to Six North, the adult physiatrics hospital.
"Life is a nightmare."
Craig himself is a very confused boy. He didn't know what he wanted to be, no clear cut view of his future and he just over thought things--everything. And the more he thought of them the more anxiety he felt about these Tentacles. He needed to find Anchors but it was only temporary like peeing and biking. Sometimes, it felt like this is just what a teenage faze is all about, but sometimes it felt like being at Six North made all the difference. You know, just sometimes you have to pull back, kick back, and then relax and not other think things--if not you just burn-out and what's left of you from that?

I have to mention everyone in Six North. They are the most beautiful people I have ever read about. They all have a story and the fact that they aren't nice ones, makes you feel for them and want them to get better. Oh they just need to get better.

I loved how the story took place only over a few days but those days were very drastic because you see the changes of Craig Before and then After. Like it's the most beautifulest thing.


My Rating:

side note: ONTO WATCHING THE MOVIE NOW! ^^

8 comments:

  1. This one sounds like it really amazing character development. My friend read this awhile ago and loved it and now you do to...really makes me want to give it a go! Awesome review :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. I love that you see so much change for Craig.

      You should definitely give it a go. Then watch the movie too. ^^

      Delete
  2. I will buy this book the up coming time I go to the bookstore ♥
    And well, depression is always a tough thing. I hope those people will be happier, maybe they won't be completely recovered, but I hope somehow things will get better for them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Coming from personal experience (I wasn't the one depressed) from friends and family member, it's hard hearing this and not being able to do anything, much less how they themselves feel.

      Delete
  3. Ah, It's Kind of a Funny Story sounds simultaneously depressing, meaningful and beautiful. It sounds exactly like my kind of book. And the rain and the puddles go perfectly to the mood of this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One with meaning and is beautiful? You got it right on. I am sure you will enjoy if you ever give it go. Rain is always good for any mood. ^^

      Delete
  4. Interesting review, Delaney.
    I am keen to read this one at some point, though it's not a huge priority, yet from your review, though you say it's beautiful and it sounds very moving, I have a strong sense that I won't enjoy it. We'll see, I suppose. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some books aren't a cup of tea for everyone, but if you ever give it a chance I hope you enjoy reading it, Romi.

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^