Monday, July 29, 2013

World-Building Done Right

World-building that I J'adore!:
  • SPUNKY & QUIRKY!
  • TOTALLY OUT OF THIS WORLD!
    • that's why you need world-building, of course!
  • DOESN'T THROW NUCLEAR-INFOS EVERYWHERE!
    • don't do it (author's name), don't do it.
  • ORIGINAL
    • hmm... 'nough said
      • touche
Building Blocks of World-building:
  • has their own system
    • their own order of society
  • their own VOCABULARY!
    • spunky & quirky?
      • oh, yes
  • how the people act
    • their words and actions matter!
I will tell this over and over...DON'T THROW INFO EVERYWHERE!:
  • I am in a spa, now soothe me into the story
  • I am a hobo, so throw me into the story
  • Don't just give me information and let it sit there
    • like a sack of potatoes 
      • that I am
    • Let me discover something myself, Sherlock
What Usually Happens:
  • the world has no substance and places lack of role
    • which maybe might not be a pest for you
      • but it is for me
  • there is nothing really interesting about it 
    • MAKE me want to go there
      • repeat, I'm a hobo, throw me somewhere I WANT to go
  • NUCLEAR OF INFORMARTIONS
    • maybe that's why I'm a dystopian hater
      • unless "(fill in Dr. Suess quote)"
  • the characters get a little rebellious
    • which is fine, if it wasn't so overused in the same fashion

Alright, I'm no hater, but some things just never change.






16 comments:

  1. Super fun post, Delaney! :D Info dumping is my worst literary pet peeve, I have put so many books down because of it. One thing about world building I really don't like is when everything has a made up name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that gif! Put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally true, every word! Info-dumping is definitely the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I love that you did one of these again because I *heart* them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really interesting post, Delaney- I'm currently writing a novel (I'm not 100% sure, quite yet, whether it's set on earth) and I've been having trouble deciding if I should create new curse words, or words in general, or if I should stick with what people are familliar with. On the one hand, I want it to be believeable and something that people can connect with easily, get a hang of, and on the other I know people don't always like new, random swear words ect. so it's an interesting topic, coming at an interesting time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that pic you used for this post! (The bulletpoint series. Are those buns too?? :3)

    I agree that infodumps are super annoying, worldbuilding won't ruin a book for me except if it has infodump -__- it's like when you just go back to school after a long long break, and then teachers explain the lessons with full details and assigments and homework that you have difficulties keeping up with the lessons >_>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh Delaney, this post is so cute!

    Especially this line: "like a sack of potatoes" :D I am totally a couch potato when I'm supposed to study for my exams (like RIGHT NOW) but instead I will be watching TV shows ;)

    I love it when world-building includes their own self-invented vocabulary BUT not when it sounds too much like some Harry Potter rip-off.

    Your posts always make me smile, and I definitely will be back more often when my exams are over! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahaha, what an awesome post, Delaney! You've always got a knack for putting a smile on my face! And yes, I totally agree that an author shouldn't be throwing info everywhere, it gives me a headache just thinking about it!

    Can't wait for your next post!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool post! I really love it when authors make me want to visit the world they created.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Arrrghhh Info dumping, why do some authors still do this??? World building is one of the most important things in a book but some decide we don't need to know a thing about where the book is set and thet BAM! take this whole load of things you NEED to know. *sigh*
    Awesome post Delaney!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome post!! <333 100% agreed! Original worlds are the best. But they are so rare, almost every dystopian/post-apocalyptic world in ya is a copycat of another. And they are not even interesting copycats. I know that there is nothing new under the sun, but still, a little more creativity wouldn't hurt. I also really, really hate authors who TELL everything. Show, don't tell!! Info dropping at odd places is also, well, odd.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh.. That gif is so cute :3 I love you bullet point series! I hate info dump and I'm just like, Dude, lemme figure things out on my own.. I ain't no dummie.. But ya.. It's happened a lot but thankfully I still enjoyed some of those books.. Cute post, Delaney!

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahaha I love this post! Like always Delaney, your bullet point post is spot on! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blog, Delaney! Hope you'll follow back :) Mina
    Mina's Bookshelf http://minadecaro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, I love this! World-building is definitely key in dystopian and post-apocalyptic novels. And I hate it when it's not done right, or when the author bombards you with all the information in just a few short chapters. I like it when they build it up and slowly bring the new society and world to life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^