Saturday, July 13, 2013

Babe in Boyland

by Jody Gehrman
Pages: 292
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2011
Publisher: Dial
First lines:
My name is Natalie Rowan. Everyone knows that. Only a select few, however, know I'm the evil genius behind my nom de plum, Dr. Aphrodite. That might seem like a pretty hefty title for a seventeen-year-old junior who's not even sure she's officially made it to what my mom refers to as "heavy petting." (Ew. I know. But my other option's "third base," which is suspiciously '80s, right? Come on, inventors-of-sexual-eupheisms, get on the job!)
That was sweet. ^^

Babe in Boyland is a story of how Natalie ventured to the even darker side...THE BOYS SIDE!!! She cross-dresses, going undercover at the risk to understand how boys think and do what they do.

Natalie (or when she is a guy: Nat) was awesome. Even if I am somewhat of a tomboy, I don't think I would have the balls to cut off my hair boy-short and go into an all-boys school...no matter how cute the guys there are.

This story reminds me a lot like Hana-Kimi in a different sense--of course. But at the same time, I love them both. <3 Since it was such a sweet and fluffy read, there weren't that many moments that mde me fall head over heels in love with this book. But it was still lots of fun to read and some parts made me just laugh out loud. And I loved reading about the misadventures of Nat/Natalie and the story of being a boy...somewhat.

Dr. Aphrodite has taught me that falling in love is all about finding someone that loves you for you...though don't do what Natalie did. XD

My Rating:

20 comments:

  1. This book sounds SO CUTE. I just love the cover. The whole idea of a girl pretending to be a boy and attending an all-boy school sounds intriguing. God I wish I knew you in real life so you could borrow me a copy *...*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely adorable! Ahh if I knew you in real life you would be my best friend. No joke.

      Delete
  2. Hehe I've heard of Babe in Boyland but never thought much abot picking it up. Cross dressing and stuff sounds fun but I would never have the balls to do it. Great review and this seems like a cute and fun read :D

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should pick it up, because it is worthy of a few laughs. Haha, me either, maybe a few years back then I wouldn't mind cross-dressing but no--no thanks. :P

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many good things about this book. I feel left out for not having read it yet! It just seems like the perfect read for a day on the beach. ^_^ Fluffy books are fun books. Haha! Great review! I look forward to picking this one up! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh you should! I really want to hear what you think about it!

      Delete
  4. YAY! I was so happy when I saw you posted this. I was also reminded of Hana Kimi but more so the movie She's the Man. This was so cute! I agree about the humor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been hearing so many people reference that movie i just need to watch or something!

      Delete
  5. This sounds cute and the cover is too xD I've never read something like this (crossdressing and stuff) but I've watched it on KDrama before like You're Beautiful or To The Beautiful You. Nice review as usual Delaney! :33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a perfect summer read. I love You're Beautiful! It is my all-time favorite Drama. XD

      Delete
  6. Hana-Kimi! Loved that manga!
    I have seen the cover of Babe in Boyland around, but didn't know it was about a girl pretending to be a boy. I might have to read this! Thanks for the review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It was a really good manga.
      What?! You should definitely read this, Cayce, it's like imagining a manga into a book. XD

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a fun read..reminds me of the 80's film 'Just One of The Guys' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo haven't heard that movie! Might have to check it out! Thanks for reading my review! ^^

      Delete
  8. This has been on my TBR list for forever!!
    Is it too much (or too weird) to ask to have more cross-dressing in YA? IMAGINE ALL THE POSSIBILITIES.

    Thanks for the review, Delaney! I've really missed reading them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *looking out in the distance* All the possibilities.

      SO HAPPY YOU ARE BACK! <33 *GLOMP*

      Delete
  9. I personally don't like the sound of this and think, if I were to try reading it, I would quickly put it down, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! One of my favourite things is when books surprise you and are better than you imagined!

    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm sorry that you wouldn't like it. But yes, it's a satisfying feel when books surprise you way better than what you think.

      Delete
  10. Just visit to check out if you have a new blog button :D
    Nice blog design btw xD I love it :)

    Nice review, there're so many great books I didn't have a chance to take a look * sad* anyway :) Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I haven't been on to making a new button because I change my design a lot but i think this one's a real keeper. I'll tell you when I make a new one. :D

      You should still give this a go. Probably finish in a day. ^^

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^