Friday, June 21, 2013

The Julian Game

by Adele Griffin
Pages: 200
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2010
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
First lines:
"This is the craziest idea you ever had," said Natalya.

"My idea?" My heart was racing. "What are you talking about? It was your idea."

"Fine. Our idea. Do you think we'll get caught?"

"Don't be a baby. Nobody can trace us."

"And it's not like we're even breaking the law," Natalya added. "Right?"

"Right. We're not doing anything illegal."
Happy endings are good for my heart. ^^

The Julian Game starts off as just a little thing made by Raye's friend Natalya and her creating a fake profile named Elizabeth. But when Raye lends a hand to Ella, the school's most "popular" girl in getting revenge by using that fake profile, things get a little crazy. What starts off as just a little thing, soon turns into something so much more.

Raye at first I thought she was just a "meh" character, a little lack-luster on the luster bit. But when things started happening, she changed--a lot. There was just so much shit thrown at her from everywhere! And, in the end, I stand and applaud for her. You know how some experiences make you stronger, this is one of them for Raye. 

*raises hand in BookConfessionAnon* "Hi, I'm Delaney and I admit, I do feel deceived from my initial thoughts about this book." The title says "game"! Sure there was a "game" but there were a whole lot other things surrounding this so called "game"--this book is only 200 pages but so many things were packed in the amount of paper produced it amazes me so!

This book, was surprising right from the start. I'm going to tell you that, and you aren't going to believe me. Just watch, and I'll be the one saying "I told you so!" : )




My Rating:

10 comments:

  1. This book sounds pretty good! I like how you put the first lines instead of the synopsis. Those kind of openings really draw you in. Great review! :)

    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Partly one of the reasons why I got the book! You should give it a shot! :D

      Delete
  2. Love your review, Delaney! This book kind of reminds me of John Tucker Must Die, except YA. I've been interested in this one so maybe I will check it out. I dislike when the title is misleading too :)

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what John Tucker Must Die is...But then i looked it up! And it's a movie? I think I need to watch it now. I know right! Guess that's one way for authors to get you in...they are a genius.

      Delete
  3. This sounds really good! I like the cover..the hair is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a go! I think you will enjoy it! And yes the blue hair--partly the reason why I picked it up. ;D

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about having a complete 360 with the book, though. I almost marked one of my recent reads as a DNF, but once it got to the interesting part of the novel, I finished with record timing. I think I'm going check this one out. Thanks for the heads up Delaney! :) (Your blog is soo adorable <3)

    Ana @ Ana @ Characterized Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought I was going crazy I get an idea about books first and then start to read them! You should always trudge on...unless trudging through 100 pages and nothing happens, then you can stamp the DNF on there.

      Aww thank you!<3 But what are you saying!--you're blog is ah-ma-zing, girl!

      Delete
  5. This sounds very interesting, Delaney. I really liked your review, but I don't think the book itself is one I would like, much. I remember seeing the cover ages ago and even now it makes me cringe- for some reason I just really don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't like it that much even though I thought I would. I'm glad for you honest opinions. Not every book is for everyone.

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^