Friday, June 28, 2013

The Disenchantments

by Nina LaCour
Pages: 307
Format: Hardcover
Year Pub: 2012
Publisher: Dutton Children's Books
First lines:
Bev says when she's onstage she feels the world holding its breath for her. She feels electric, louder than a thousand wailing sirens, more powerful than God.

"I thought you didn't believe in God," I say.

She says, "Okay. More powerful than the universe, then."
Beautiful.

If a book was somehow written just for me, I think this one hits close to the spot.

The Disenchantments starts off with Bev and Colby getting ready to plan their lives. They are seniors and instead of going to college in the fall, they want to be hitching to Europe. But before going to Europe, Bev's band, The Disenchantments are going to be doing a tour. Colby thinks he has everything planned and perfect, but a quick detour changes that.

This book is told in Colby's perspective. And along with Charlie and Dash(...and a few others XP), Colby is a guy I want to give a really big hug to. He is a really sweet guy and I love how LaCour wrote it that made him a believable guy! Throughout most of the book, he is trying to figure plans for his future so you see the struggles he faces.

This is a road trip book, so if you enjoy those things--pick this one up! But besides being a road trip, so much was made. Everything went by really fast, like a good memory that you want to last, and even though they were fast you get to meet all these people that inspired Colby, and they are all really beautiful people.

It makes you feel like you are tangled with heartstrings reading this book. And radiant somewhere in your heart that when you close the book, you don't want to say goodbye to these characters. And as Peter Pan says, “Never say goodbye because goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.”



My Rating:

16 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book before this post, but it sounds amazing! I love road-trip books. I need to pick this one up! Great review :)

    ~Sydney@Pika Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a road trip book until now! But if all road trips are like this, then yes, I think I also love road trip books. I hope you can pick this one up sometime and give it a shot!

      Delete
  2. Yay, you reviewed this! Oh gosh I love road trip books. Colby sounds really great. I'd put it on hold at the library but I already have too many out xD


    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! It was too good not to be reviewed! Road trip books are just right for summertime. <3 Aww darn! Hope you can get it soon though! (after you get those books in first!)

      Delete
  3. I love road trip books! This book sounds awesome and I definitely want to pick this one up!

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick this up, Ariella. Merrr, it's so good. *strokes book* XD

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book for a long time! I'm so glad you like this! And I have a soft spot for books in guy's perspective cause there aren't many in YA books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Somehow it's very refreshing so if it's overused, I would probably have a different perspective to guy's POV, but for now, it's a real treat when you find guy's POV. ^-^

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great summer read, need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for summer, but I warn you, it also has much more that it isn't fully a "light" read. Nonetheless, it's a perfect beach read. :D

      Delete
  6. Great review Delaney! This seems like the perfect summer read!

    -Grace :)

    P.S. That t-shirt the girl is wearing on the cover is something I could really see you wear, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It most definitely is!

      Haha, I would love to have that shirt! XP

      Delete
  7. Beautiful review, Delaney. Just beautiful! It's always nice to find a book that is seemingly written for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finished reading this book thanks to your recommendation and absolutely LOVED it! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^