Monday, June 3, 2013

A Corner of White (The Colors of Madeline #1)

by Jaclyn Moriarty
Pages: 373
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2013
Publisher: Arthur A Levine Books
This is a tale of missing persons.

When Madeline and Elliot begin to exchange messages across worlds--through an accidental gap that hasn't appeared in centuries--the large and small events of their lives start to intertwine.

Can a corner of white hold a kingdom? Can a stranger from another world help to solve the problems--and unravel the mysteries--in your own? And can Madeleine and Elliot find the missing pieces of themselves before it is too late?
I really just want to hug every single part of fiber of the book.

This book can be explained in one word: QUIRKY.
A Corner of White is quirky, fun, funny, emotional, and something all on its own. And in a way, it shines every color in the world.

The World
  • Our world.
  • This is where Madeline lives.
  • She lives Cambridge where the only colour she seems to see are grey and dull.
Madeline herself was just too colorful for Cambridge, England. She finds a letter corresponding from a person. Of course she thinks it's from some fantasy-obsessed boy. But playing along doesn't hurt.  ; D

The Kingdom of Cello
  • A parallel world.
  • This is where Elliot lives.
  • He lives in Bonfire where the only color he seems to see are Colors that attack you.
Elliot likes in the Bonfire, Farms. Where everyone knows everyone and seems like one of those warmly open towns. He finds a slip of letter in an artwork made by his friend. Nope, he is not a fantasy-obsessed boy. He just lives in The Kingdom of Cello. 

My oh my can I say so much about this book! Jaclyn Moriarty just has a way where she has so many things happening at the same time and they don't get jumbled up at all. Can I say that Moriarty just--it's just not her story without some kind of letter or newspaper or extra little spice she always add to her stories. Why do you make me want to have a pen pal around my age and is a boy all the time, Moriarty?! DX Somehow this book felt so, so, so... something very hard to explain.  If you have to ask me how/why, I would say, "Read it, and you'll know".  

Moriarty has a way with building Cello. Adding on all these layers and layers of this world, I felt like I was there. 

> _ < Just take me to Cello. Please. 
"The question is wrong. Correct question: Why would you not visit Cello?"

My Rating:


23 comments:

  1. This book sounds so intriguing and original, I'll definitely be checking it out. The whole parallel universe thing reminded me slightly of Doctor Who too, so hopefully it'll be as wonderful as that!x

    http://altheaeatbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it is wonderful, it's now one of my favorites! Haha, speaking about Doctor Who, I need to watch that!

      Delete
  2. Awwwwe, seems like an awesome book! I have to check it out :3
    Loved your review ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! ^^ I really, REALLY recommend you pick it up. It's so good.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this book sounds great! I love her other books Feeling Sorry For Celia and The Year of Secret Assignments. This one sound similar in the style. But I guess that is becasue its the same author. XD But seriously, I love her writing. And yours! Your posts are always so interesting and creative. Great review! :)

    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Year of Secret Assignments! I have yet to read any of the other in the series. I love her writing, maybe it's partly because she's an Aussie. ;D But she isn't writing in letter form but in actual sentences and occasional letters, her signature look. XD

      Delete
  4. This book sounds awesome! I think I'll read it just to see how good the kingdom of Cello is! Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you were speechless! XD

    I love parallel universe -- it reminds me of one of my favorite books. This book sounds interesting! Cello seems like a wonderful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that's a better way to say it. XD

      Cello is an amazing place, I want to live there.

      Delete
  6. WOW!! I've been seeing this book on quite a number of blogs but never got the drift of the story, now that I know it's about parallel universe... GIVE IT TO ME!!! *GRABBY HANDS* Haha, I think the whole colour-concept is really cool and I can't wait to read all about Madeline and Elliot :)

    Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *CLUTCHING OWN COPY* You should read it! Parallel words are my kind of thing if they are like this. I hope you get the time to pick this up and know more of Madeline and Elliot and their relationship and meeting the Kingdom of Cello of course! ^^

      Delete
  7. Well, I wouldn't have expected all that from the cover lol.
    This is SUPER quirky. It's so weird I think I need to read it now. It's just so original. I love the world of Cello. This could be really good.

    P.S. I love the way you review (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover sure is deceiving. Makes it seem very fluffy and adorable (which it sorta is) but the cover looks quirky as well, with all the colors and everything. If it had a middle name, it would be QUIRKY, just for this book. XD
      Cello, let me hug you, Cello (I know it's a place and all but I still wanna hug it).

      Haha, thanks! I tend to wonder if I give to little or too much info. XD

      Delete
  8. This sounds really cute, need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds great! Great review!

    I've nominated you for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award :D
    http://livingforthebooks.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it!

      Thank you for the nominate, Erika! <3

      Delete
  10. This sounds really intriguing, Delaney- YOU'VE GOT ME ALL INTRIGUED!
    I'm not sure if I would end up loving it as much as you have, though, because it sounds like I'd just find it a little... hmm... I'm not really sure, but from your review I think I might find it a little hard to follow, because you said there's a lot going on and with the letters going between characters, it sounds busy. I do love that you say it makes you want a penpal- I had a lot in my early teens and have kept a few whom I'm brilliant friends with now, and it's such a fun experience. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh-heh, thank you very much. Even though there is a lot of things happening, it's very easy to follow! So do give it a try! Pweaaassseee?~Aww, you are making me jealous with your penpal buddies, Romi! It seems like such fun and a great way to meet new cultures. :D

      Delete
    2. (Over a month later, but I'm still replying to your comment!)

      Okay, I'll add it to my tbr as per your request. I hope I like it!
      Having pen pals is awesome- I've been doing it for years and it's so nice to be in touch with a few still.

      Delete
  11. I've seen so many brilliant reviews for this book already, so I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it too! I'm kind of kicking myself now for not requesting it :( Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get your own copy! It's worthy enough to be looked at and read and loved.

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^