Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1)

by Rick Riordan
Pages: 400
Format: Paperback
Year Pub: 2010
Publisher: Hyperion Books for CH
Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.
Dum-dum-duuuum!

Percy Jackson is a very troubled kid. Well, troubled enough to get kicked out...again. And from being kicked out, there gets a series of events that makes the usual everyday boy into, well, a demigod. And, well, getting chased by monsters and gods. Of course, everyday you do that, so this is nothing new! ; D

Percy Jackson, maybe it's just me, but he sounded older (or maybe it's just the movie playing tricks on me) but he's only in 6th grade. Maybe that just made him that much more likable. He was a very funny guy, kick butt at the same time, and such a big softy. If I met him in real life I would either not want to mess with him, or give him a hug. :D He also had so much wit and if I was in his place, I would have taken the choice of running away and hiding under a shell until someone bribes me out...with a free unicorn!

The Lightning Thief also includes lots of mythology that made me want to crack open a mythology book and still tease Zeus for going incest having a gaggillion number of wives. Sorry, Zeus. The mythology aspect just added to the interesting parts and layer to this story. The world-building made this book lose some points because it bored me. It bored me when someone started explaining! I just wanted to dive in but I kept getting stopped mid-way by someone with a pause button to tell me how to dive in. I'm sorry!

Some people LOVED this book, some people thought it was a total copy of Harry Potter, somehow, I fell in between the lines.  ^ ^


My Rating:

15 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH, HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS??? This is my favorite series of all time and this actually got me into reading. If it wasn't for Rick Riordan, I would probably never discover the world of reading. But I'm also a total myth junkie before I read this so that must be why I loved it SOOOO MUCH <3

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry! I feel bad now that I didn't like it as much! I love myths but I guess it just felt like I was weighed down by it. I'm glad you loved it more and introduced you into this amazing world of books. ^^

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this book, but I had such high expectations for it, I felt a little let down. I guess it's because people compared it to Harry Potter... Great review anyway though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I had the same thing! I was comparing it too much to the movie so I thought it would be just as amazing as the movie! XD

      Delete
  3. Glad you at least kind of liked it :)

    Do you think you'll read the others in the series? Just out of curiosity.

    Anyway...

    HEY BEAUTIFUL, I MISSED YOU SO MUCH. I HAVEN'T TALKED TO YOU IN FOREVER. *HUGGSSSSSSSSSSS.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm glad I gave it a shot, just to know. :D

      I don't I'll be reading anymore in the series, actually. :/

      YOU BACCCCCCCCK!!!!!!! *HUGGGGSSSSSSSSSS*

      Delete
  4. I keep thinking I want to read this series..but for some reason I have yet too..great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy this! Even if it's aimed toward MG, but any age would enjoy this because it's just a very fun book. :D

      Delete
  5. Really? I loved this series! Now, I never read Harry Potter so I can't say if it is a rip off of it, but if Harry Potter is like this I definitely want to read it soon! I'm sorry you didn't like this book as much. I feel like all of my friends, even the ones who don't really like to read, read this. Are you going to read the next one?

    ~Syndey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I spelled my name wrong...oops XD

      ~Sydney

      Delete
    2. :/ Ah, I feel so bad i didn't love it as much! DX Yay! I'm not the only one who hasn't read HP! *high fives* Guess it lacked something I was looking for. Nah, I don't think I will. Unless I somehow find it at a good price and feel like it. XD

      Delete
  6. I didn't even finish this when I went to read it! I got about half way through and was just finding it to be such a dreadfully mediocre and wasn't finding myself invested enough to warrant continuing. I'm glad you seemed to like it quite a lot more, though it's obviously still fairly middling! I read so much fantastic-ness about it and was so surprised to see it fell so flat! Will you continue with the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy it as much as i thought I would! Some people like you didn't like it so much and some just adored it, somehow, I always fall in-between. XD That's what I heard too, it just sounding amazing-sauce!

      I don't think I'll be continuing. (a)too lazy. (b)no motivation.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read any of these books yet but I might eventually. I didn't realize the main character was in sixth grade, that's more middle grade fiction than YA. The movie made all the characters so much older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize either! The movie was so misleading. D:

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^