Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1)

by Marissa Meyer
Pages: 390
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
*THANK YOU FARI, JOIE, MAGS, AND PAULINE FOR NAGGING (*cough*Joie*cough*)  RECOMMENDING THIS TO ME! PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME!*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have the muchness to lie to you. Sooo, please don't shoot me!

Right off the bat, Meyer draws you into her world. She creates a world filled with moon people (not aliens), cyborgs, and androids. Basically a sic-fi-y world! So when I heard that I was like "YAY!" No. (coming to The Awkward-ness, discussing about world-building!) I do not like to feel like I'm being weighed down by information, I like to be slowly emerged by the terms and surroundings. Which, didn't happen. (I guess that's why dystopia is hunting me down. That explains a lot... )

Cinder is a cyborg but she also has lots of crazy make-shifts that happen and she's not entirely just cyborg, as it so turns out. She gets a lot of stuff just dumped on her. Just, all over the place! It's messed up, but I couldn't make any ounce of me to CARE for her or whatever she was going to do!

I have to hand it to people, this book is cliche. And I might be the most unrecognizable person there is out there. The sequence of events were unfolding slower than it should have been. Heck! I was half-way and nothing captivated me enough to read more than a chapter a day!

But (before you come with pick-axes) I shall have to applaud Meyer for building a naturally organic world. She crafted a world with so much substance and flaws. And, not to mention, writing that has so much room for improvement. I might not pick up her next book (even if I do adore Riding Hood more than Cinderella) but I shall look forward to what other ideas she shall be crafting.


My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. Ya, saying we have different tastes is about right. I liked (not loved) this book and I thought it was pretty awesome and what not with the cyborgs and lunar stuff. I already read Scarlet and I think they're both great :) Too bad you didn't like this that much though, Delaney :c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hearing so many raving reviews I thought I would be the same! Even i was expecting anything, I was going for something that would "wow!" me, and that didn't happen. DX

      Delete
  2. I really liked this one..sorry it disappointed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love your writing style :) I think it's really funny :P and cute xD
    Oh and awkward :D I think I am awkward too :) so high5 :D
    This book sounds interesting to me though :) maybe I will read it someday :D Nice review :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I only try to be. ;D
      But even though I didn't like it as much, I encourage you to check it out, maybe you'll like it more than I did. ^^

      Delete
  4. I didn't much enjoy the parts of this I read either, though I didn't make it through the whole book. I've heard a lot of good things (really, really good things) about Scarlet, the second book, and the fact that it focuses on a new character as the protagonist really intrigues me, especially as it's a character who sounds very interesting, so I'm going to see what I think. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one not much taste for this book! I think Scarlet does sound a little more interesting....

      Delete
  5. omG DELANEY I DON'T THINK WE CAN BE FRIENDS AFTER THIS.

    ...
    Okay, just kidding! XD

    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one very much, but I thought the sequel was a lot better than this one, so if you ever feel like picking that up..... :)

    Anyways, lovely review as always- I've been pretty absent from the blogosphere lately and I've really missed reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOO, I'M SORRY JOIE!!!! XD

      MAYBE I'll pick up the sequel...MAYBE. Now, I can say that I don't need to read all your recommendations, right? > : D

      Aww, don't worry, it's almost the end of the school year so everyone's just finishing up and getting reading for summer. ^^

      Delete
  6. Aww, I'm sorry that you didn't like it. I really loved this one, but we can't all have the same tastes, right?

    Anywho, I could see how you would be bored, but Scarlet is WAY BETTER than this one, seriously. You should give it a shot! ;) Awesome review, Delaney!! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, dissappointingly. DX Thanks for dropping by and reading my review, Megan!

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^