Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book to Movie: Howl's Moving Castle

    BOOK          |           MOVIE    


Yes, of course there would be a movie review! Knowing me and my Howl's Moving Castle obsessioning fangirlingment, there would. XD And, yes, I did rewatch it--again. C :

Both the movie animation and the book are totally two different things. I adore them both. <333 Howl was definitely sweeter and less Drama Queen like in the book, which surprised me when I read the book. Well, at least you get to see how he looks! > _ < Sophie was still a feisty old woman who still had her own, personal charm to her character. Marco was, whoa, TOTALLY different. In the book he was in his teen years (guessing 15? I forgot, please remind me) and in the movie, he was just a little kid! I wonder why they changed that...Hrmm, hrmm..Also, Calcifer was still that fiery demon of himself. ^^

And--Dwa-yes!--Studio Ghibli production!!! What could possibly make it wrong? I did not care that they changed so much of the plot story because Mr. Miyazaki made the story his own so you can see the world that Jones created in his eyes.

And, I was so happy that the book had the Slime Part as in the movie (visa versa)! You can't have Drama Queen Howl without green slime
eh-heh 
"I give up. I see not point in living if I can't be beautiful." -Howl



My Obvious Rating:

16 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you LOVED it! I watched the movie a few years ago and adored it! Howl kinda scared me in bird form since I was a little kid :P

    -Ariella @ Secrets of Lost Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I did! :D The first time I watched the movie, that part freaked me out too..especially in the end when he's totally bird form.*chills*.

      Delete
  2. I am seriously frightened of anything by Studio Ghibli. It goes back to me when I was really young my mom got me Spirited Away and I was like 6 and remember it being so scary and weird and different from regular kid's movies like Mulan and Cinderella. I still haven't watched it all the way though, that No Face guy creeps me out so much. That's my embarrassing youth story XP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Sprited Away was actually the first one from Studio Ghibli for me too! And I was freaked out my No Face, but if you get past the first half, the second half gets really good and also very adorable. > _ < Also, you should still try Howl's Moving Castle!

      Delete
  3. OK I have been wanting to read this AND watch it. This makes me want to do it RIGHT NOW!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I read the book first and loved it so much, and was really surprised by how different the movie is! You are right, they both have great things about them, and it's always interesting to see a different take when adapting a book. Loved going down memory lane with your post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I,--shameless and guilt free--actually saw the movie first! XD I do like different takes, if it's made right and still has somewhat of the concept in there. Thank you! ^^

      Delete
  5. Hah, coming into the book after watching the movie I was incredibly perplexed! WHAT IS UP WITH MARCO? I could never pick a favourite- the movie was, I think, my first Ghibli film and it bought me to Diana Wynne Jones and Howl and Sophie; I couldn't have one without the other and love them both so passionately. I love the detail of the flower shop in the book, and the medow in the film is so beautiful. Have you read the graphic novels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I was so confused that Marco wasn't a cute little boy in the book! XD I have agree, the movie is more of a complement and I loved both SO MUCH. <3 Each one is wonderful in their own way! :D Is the graphic novels meaning the manga?...Then yup. XD It was like seeing the movie in book form!

      Delete
  6. I saw the movie before reading the book so I was really surprised to meet Michael and Martha's characters! I think this might be the only instance where I actually ended up loving a movie adaptation that was really different from the book.
    Glad to hear you liked them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a book and film that I have heard a lot about but never read, though I would really like to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the book but I loved the movie, I just love seeing how miyazaki brings books to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are so amazing! <3 Miyazaki is even more amazing. ^^

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^