Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saving Francesca

by Melina Marchetta
Pages: 243
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2006
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Francesca is stuck at St. Sebastians, a boys' school that's pretends it's coed by giving the girls their own bathroom. Her only female companions are an ultra-feminist, a rumored slut, and an an impossibly dorky accordion player. The boys are no better, from Thomas who specializes in musical burping to Will, the perpetually frowning, smug moron that Francesca can't seem to stop thinking about.

Then there's Francesca's mother, who always thinks she knows what's best for Francesca—until she is suddenly stricken with acute depression, leaving Francesca lost, alone, and without an inkling who she really is. Simultaneously humorous, poignant, and impossible to put down, this is the story of a girl who must summon the strength to save her family, her social life and—hardest of all—herself.
Laugh, cry, and feel happy.

This book starts off with Francesca having to transfer schools from St. Stella to St. Sebastians. St. Sebastians is filled with boys and has changed to being a co-ed school, though the girls don't get much from the change. Well, they do have the priority of rolling their eyes constantly because boys just act like boys.

St. Sebastians is a pretty strange school with the weirdest boys, but once you get to know of the school, it's such a family school where it feels like everyone knows everyone. And the guys in that school just totally reminded me of the guys in Drumline because guys are idiots but they can be sweet if they try hard enough. XD

Francesca herself was a very broken person. She...her feelings and mine matched. A lot. I remember that feeling that she had. We might not have went through the same things, but I've had that feeling. That feeling that if someone would just listen, you would tell them everything. And to know that it will get better.

Saving Francesca is a book filled hope. Hope is all we need. And that was all Francesca needed, in saving herself.



My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. Hmm, have I read this? *Checks Goodreads* Nope! Thought I did. This one sounds like it would be somewhat humorous, I wouldn't find being in a school like that :P I prefer guys over girls anyday, girls are so catty. I know what you mean when you just want someone to ask you what is wrong. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha now that you know you haven't...GO READ IT! XD I agree! Girls...depending. Bookie girls rule the world but seriously girls who think the could conquer the world with makeup and fancy clothes is a no, no. XP

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful review Delaney! You just always bring out the best of a book! This is definitely going on my to-read list!

    -Grace :)

    P.S. Loving the new cursor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Grace! YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ THIS! XD

      Delete
  3. Lovely review :) I'll definitely have to read this book.

    And... HUGGGSSSSS.
    I'm going back to school tomorrow.

    I WILL TRY. I SWEAR I WILL TRY TO READ. AND REVIEW. AND BE ACTIVE IN THE BLOGOSPHERE. But sometimes it's just hard with all Pre-AP stuff and a crazy workload. BUT I WILL DO MY BEST, I PROMISE.

    So... much love. And wish me luck.

    PEACE.
    -Maggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should weeeeaaad this! ^^

      But aside from your comment....
      HUUUUUUUGGGGGGGSSSSS!!!!
      AAWWWWW, IMMA MISS YA SISTA!!!! TT ^ TT I HOPE YOU BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR PRE-AP STUFF!<333 SCHOOL BEFORE BLOGGING! <333

      Delete
  4. "...because guys are idots but they can be sweet if they try hard enough," haha =) Great review! Melina Marchetta is a great writer, this one is already on my TBR.

    New follower here =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :DDDDD Well it is true, right? ;D

      P.S. THANKS FOR THE FOLLOW!!! <333

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet review ^_^ I have gotten Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta recently. I will wait until the weekend to read it so I can spend extra *special* attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C: Thank you. And I hope to read a review about Jellicoe Road, or maybe you won't be able to write one because it would too amazing for one. XD Either way, hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is such a great review! It made me go all soft and squishy in the last paragraph. I've felt the feeling, too, and hate when it feels like even if someone was lietening, they wouldn't see things the same as you, which might be what you need. It's horrible when you half decide just not to bother, because perhaps no one will listen. But they will, they just need, at least sometimes, for you to take the lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, don't worry Romi. KEEP FIGHTING! Even at your darkest days, there is always light at the end of it. I know so, even if I'm still in the darkness, I can see light pretty close for my future.

      Stay strong. <3

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^