Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales

by Grimm Brothers
Pages: 682
Format: Hardcover
Year Pub: 2012 (first pub 1812)
Publisher: Fall River Press
Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales collects more than two hundred fairy tales set down by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm in the early decades of the nineteenth century. In these wonderfully entertaining stories, frogs transform into handsome princes, serving girls become princesses, clever peasants outwit disdainful nobles, evil queens and stepmothers are revealed for the nasty folk they are, innocents learn to beware of predators, kings learn valuable lessons from their wiser servants, the poor outshine their betters, animals talk like people, virtue is rewarded, and bad behavior is punished.

Illustrated with the artwork of Arthur Rackham, Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales is a cornucopia of magical stories that will appeal to readers of all ages.
Call me crazy, but I have achieved what I've wanted to read for a very long time.

I'm not joking when I am saying that I actually enjoyed reading this. Because it's literally all those fairy tales you thought you knew. Yeah right. Take away all that fluffed up Disney versions and retellings, this one is the backbone to our society. I'm not kidding.

There are silly stories, WTF stories, ridiculous stories, repetitive stories (like how many Hans story were there? or why three daughters and the youngest always gets the prince or Happily Ever Afters, ehh?), weird stories, gory stories (and they go all out).

But some of these stories were really amazing and it's mostly all about rooting for the underdogs. Cause underdogs aren't always what they seem.....




My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. This sounds really fun and the stories sound really different. I'm glad you liked it. I definitely need to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were just really strange/fun/silly/awesome ideas to read about. XD I can't explain this is one word because there were so many stories! Hope you check it out! (though it will be VERY time-consuming to read it) ^^

      Delete
  2. Yay! You finished it, Delaney. Whoop whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so proud of myself! XD

      Delete
  3. YOUR. HEADER. *dies because of excessive cuteness* Aww, it seems that you got a GORGEOUS design change when I was away from blogosphere, Delaney! <3 I love the glasses, so cuteee! x) And it's nice to see the Bun rates as well - he's so adorable! Here's a gift for Bun! *throwing him shower of nutella*

    Anyway, I'm glad that you finally finished this book! <3 I love fairytale books but I usually buy them only to decorate my bookshelf LOL! ;) Grimm's original fairytales are always gory and um... disturbing. >.< Thank you for reviewing this fairytale book! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >//////< Oh, stop flattering me. *Bun receives gift gratefully and starts spooning large spoonful into his mouth* XD.

      Delete
  4. I love fairy tales as well especially the original ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should definitely check this out! I love seeing how from the original to retellings. So different!

      Delete
  5. Now that you have read all the Grimm's Fairy Tales,I must read the book also!
    And your new rating illustration...is just adorable T_T Great, short review, Delaney! I always go to you for the quick and sweet reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! GO. Wead them. Haha, thank you! XD Transformation of Bun in his true form. ^^ Well, you know where to find me for them! XD

      Delete
  6. Aah- I'm pretty sure I'm in love with your blog. The font, the rating system image, the curser, the title, the reviewing- it's all so amazing! Wow- I'm so glad I found this!

    I read (okay, partially read) a collection of the Grimm stories a year or so ago and really didn't like it- I skimmed after getting a third of the way through and, though I do agree that the original tales were very interesting, they were also pretty creepy. It's terrible to say it and I am doubtless it sounds awful, but I can't love them more than Disney where happy endings are assured... generally. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >////////< Awww thank you, didn't realize someone would love this little blog of mine! ^^ I'm sorry you didn't like it as much, it's not really for everyone so I can see why, but I do love the Disney versions as well! XD

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^