Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

by Stephen Chbosky
Pages: 213
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 1999
Publisher: MTV Books & Pocket Books
Standing on the fringes of life...offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

*THANKS JOSH! FOR LENDING THIS TO ME!
IDK if you'll ever see this, but THANKS ANYWAYS!*
------------------------------------------

My heart has made room for another book.

What I love most about books is their characters. It's just what makes up the book, the backbone. Without amazing characters, it just doesn't work. And this book, just devotes everything to the characters.

Charlie is starting freshman year. He doesn't have any friends and he doesn't know how to make them, either. But when Sam and Patrick (A.K.A. Nothing) welcomes him as their friends, he feels welcomed and accepted. And freshman year, seems like not such a bad year after all.

Charlie is super sweet, and innocent as well. He's very emotional and the more I read about his story and about his Aunt and about his siblings and his family and his school life and his English teacher, the more real he was. He's the realest, truest character I have ever meet.

Now, the writing is super special. Even though it's told from Charlie's POV, it's told through letters. I was a bit skeptical about this because I've read many in letter/diary form and it's jut boring, this...this is just like art through words. Charlie's writing to a "friend" and it's like you are his friend. You just found him, and he found you.

I think I wrote an awful review for this book because this book deserves so much more, and if I could keep Charlie all safe and bottled up in my heart, I would. But I can't and somethings, I just wanted to hug him. Because everything will be okay.

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."


My Rating:

19 comments:

  1. LOVE this review, Delaney! I have been wanting to read this book for a while, but my mom's not letting me :/ Now i want to read it more than ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Annie : > //// < I can see why your mom might not let you because there was a lot of things that were very overwhelming. But READ IT! Or not, I'll keep Charlie to myself. > : D

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm currently reading this! I agree with you, it's excellent so far. It took a while for me to get used to the tone/style, but other than that, it's a great read! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if I will read this, but I am glad you liked it so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard great things about this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Ruby : You are? Awesome! It's a special read. <3

      @Jane : I hope you give it a go when you feel like it, I bet you'll love it. ^^

      @Alisa : Yes, there are great things about this one! Well, more publicity after movies are made.

      Delete
  5. Aw, what a sweet and wonderful little review, Delaney! I've really been Itching to read this book, but I just can't seem to find it at my library!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your reviews are always quick and sweet :) Just the way I like them! I think I should of waited until I was more of an experienced writing before making a review for this book. I think I failed XD (Your review is great!) I actually got this book because of pure coincidence. I saw it on sale and since I was being rushed to pick something I bought this book. I read it in a day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Grace : Oh, I don't think you just want to borrow it like i did. You would want to buy it right after borrowing it.

      @Lottie : I like to keep them as short and informative as possible, but still with my opinions added as well. ^^ It's that good to read it in a day.

      Delete
  7. I really need to read this book. I'm sad to admit that I have yet to read it. I really want to see the movie, but I refuse to until I've read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pick this one up because that's how I was too! So now, I can freely watch the movie without guilt.

      Delete
  8. Charlie was fantastic. Great review!
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was! Thanks for reading my review! ^^

      Delete
  9. Yaay, I'm so glad to hear you loved this book! :)
    I LOVED the letter format of this book... somehow it just made the whole story more personal and, like you said, special. Have you seen the movie adaptation yet? I've heard it's also fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. > _ < It was special. I definitely agree with you! The letter format just made it that more of it's own originality. C : I haven't seen the movie yet! I'm waiting for it in Netflix (go netflix! XD ). Have you?

      Delete
  10. This book has been on my shelves for so long and I've never picked it up. I think it's because of the way the story is told but I don't know if I'll like it or not :S But now I'm definitely reading it. Loved your review, it's short but it says it all :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the format might get to people but I say go for it! It's definitely to read! ^^

      Delete
  11. This is NOT an awful review Delaney! :D I haven't actually read the book but I watched the movie already and I think you should too! Emma Watson was spectacular in it. I still think the ending was a bit rushed and clumsy so I'm aching to see whether it is like that even in the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...well, it didn't do much justice to the book...> _ < You should read the book! I need to watch the movie. Haha, you've watched the movie but I haven't, but I've read the book but you haven't... Ha, ha. *getting awkward*.

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^