Friday, October 12, 2012

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
Pages: 183
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2007
Publisher: Ember
It all starts when Nick asks Norah to be his girlfriend for five minutes. He only needs five minutes to avoid his ex-girlfriend, who’s just walked in to his band’s show. With a new guy. And then, with one kiss, Nick and Norah are off on an adventure set against the backdrop of New York City—and smack in the middle of all the joy, anxiety, confusion, and excitement of a first date.

This he said/she said romance told by YA stars Rachel Cohn and David Levithan is a sexy, funny roller coaster of a story about one date over one very long night, with two teenagers, both recovering from broken hearts, who are just trying to figure out who they want to be—and where the next great band is playing.

Told in alternating chapters, teeming with music references, humor, angst, and endearing side characters, this is a love story you’ll wish were your very own. Working together for the first time, Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have combined forces to create a book that is sure to grab readers of all ages and never let them go.
I want my first date to literally be like that--a very epic night indeed. But, no, I bet it'll be some way or another we'll meet at a bookstore or some nerdy place I heart (which I wouldn't mind,either). :)

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist adventure starts as Nick asks Norah a five-minute request of girlfriend pride hood. Only because his ex, Tris, is making way and he wants to avoid her at all costs. Through everything, the night is still young and it's a roller coaster of a ride to be in. There are a lot of music references of punk, and yeah there's the classic The Beatles in there as well, and, an Infinite Playlist.

I loved Nick and Norah (and Nick's bandmates). Nick himself is so, well I can't say innocent, but he's close enough, and he's very sweet. He's a very sweet guy, one of those nerdy guys that let ladies first and have genuine manners. He writes songs and does mix tapes and is super nice, it's crazy how nice he is! I think he's pretty much the kind of guy whom you don't see in the world because they're invested by perverted-hormoney dudes that you want to run away from instead.

Norah was very stiff. Or as she calls herself "frigid". She can stand for herself and care for people she love and she's just this spunky, witty girl who wears flannel shirts-or-anything-else-comfy. She can talk back and talk for herself so when she gets silent I was like, "this really is a major issue!" or something along those lines.

The writing style! YES! YES! Since they are the exact same people who wrote Dash and Lily's Book of Dares of course it would be awesome! And it did! The author's writing chemistry are amazing. I feel like they are the type of friends in real life that if you meet them in real life, they would finish each other's sentences. I really loved the ups and downs of relation to Nick and Norah's interaction and it felt so real because you can love someone then be like "how is this true" and want to break-up with them. But they each needed someone and they found that someone all in one night.

“You know the reason The Beatles made it so big?...'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' First single. Fucking brilliant. Perhaps the most fucking brilliant song ever written. Because they nailed it. That's what everyone wants. Not 24/7 hot wet sex. Not a marriage that lasts a hundred years. Not a Porsche...or a million-dollar crib. No. They wanna hold your hand. They have such a feeling that they can't hide. Every single successful song of the past fifty years can be traced back to 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand.' And every single successful love story has those unbearable and unbearably exciting moments of hand-holding.” -Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn


My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I have seen the movie but not read the book...out of curiosity did you like the movie or the book better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched the movie yet and planning too soon so for now... the book?

      Delete
  2. Great review Delaney! Actually, this book has been on my library pile for a while now, so I just might give it a try soon!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely review, Delaney! ♥ I've been meaning to read this book for a long time, and your review convinces me that I should get a review ASAP! This seems like such a lovely, magical story. ♥ Ah, I would love to have the same beautiful first date like Nick and Norah too! ;) It's certainly interesting that Nick and Norah have very opposites personality. Oh well, I guess we are interested to people whose personality is the polar opposite of us indeed. :P

    I need to hunt the movie adaptation as well... it seems like a very cute story! x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this review. I've bee wondering whether to pick p the book or not but I guess I should- thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by David Levithan or Rachel Cohn before, but I am SO glad you enjoyed this one! It's been on my radar and I definitely want to check it out. Wonderful review, Delaney! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that quote! I've seen the movie but I haven't read the book. I guess I need to do that! Wonderful review Delaney. :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^