Friday, October 26, 2012

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)

by Gena Showalter
Pages: 404
Format: Hardcover
Year Pub: 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.


Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her father was right. The monsters are real….

To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies….
Off with their heads.

What I imagined it would be like: Zombieland meets Wonderland. Yeah. Just run that through your head because that would've been awesome! Zombie apocalypse and then she has to battle her way and stuff and IT'S NOT EVEN A DREAM! and then she meets this bad boy Cole and they fight and AUGH! it would've been amazing!

What it came to be: Her family gets into a car accident and she suddenly sees zombies! She sees this guy Cole on the first day of school and they have these crazy visions and there is no "Wonderland". There is no "Mad Hatter" or "Tea party". Yes there is the zombie aspect but they. Are. Invisible. What the flip?

Except I do have to congratulate Gena Showalter for some pretty kick-butt parts and Ali (Alice) actually wanting to do something instead of sitting there and looking like a pretty little appetizer for the zombies served on a nice platter ready-to-go! Cole was pretty intense but he confused the heck out of me! Be a man and make your decisions! Unicorn Rainbows D:< !!!(supposedly me in frustration)!!!

Even though there was supposedly a "sudden connection" to them , yeah no. I didn't feel the love and I didn't swoon for Cole as per say. I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Maybe it's because I just don't have a thing for buff (really buff) or pushy, intense guys no matter how hot they can get.

The book is just confusing. If I'm making it sound bad I'm sorry, it wasn't that bad, it just terrible threw me off. Well, anyways, GO KICK SOME INVISIBLE ZOMBIE BUTT, PEOPLE!!! XD


My Rating:
yes it's a half. 3 and a half

P.S. (to those who know manga/anime) whenever they started 
slaying I seriously thought it was a Bleach terrible rip-off. (you'll
know if you read it, I'm not crazy. And then you'll comment again
and I will say, "I told you so!")

12 comments:

  1. Aww that sucks! Zombies meets Alice in wonderland!...I mean how can you screw it up! Hmmmm.. I like that she kicks butt tho!
    But wif 3 1/2 stars i'd give it a miss.

    =)
    P.s. I love jack skellington & happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write-up, Delaney. Sounds like we have similar opinions on this one. Cool action but a romance that doesn't work (yet is really the focus of those first 250 pages).

    Will you try book two, or will you be out reaping invisible zombies next Halloween? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I don't know. Maybe the second choice, most likely. XD

      Delete
  3. This book sounded so awesome so I am sorry that it didn't work out for you. But really NO Mad Hatter or tea parties or un-birthdays then how is it Alice at all, besides the Mad Hatter was always my favourite. I might not read this book now sadly enough because I do like books that have some romance but I need to read some book that aren't just romance and have something more. I am glad you reviewed it so now I know.
    It really is a shame it wasn't more actions, the book sounded so good.
    -Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been seeing some good and bad reviews on this. It's not really Alice in Wonderland.. Thanks for sharing :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Delaney,
    Even if the romance is not working, your review make me curious about this zombie story more particularly when you make the bleach reference. Will have to check this one.
    And I like your picture of jack skellington!
    Happy Halloween!

    Lucie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually only read it because I was hoping to read about a super insane zombie Mad Hatter and when he didn't show up I was very disappointed. Yeah, I do not get why Alice has the hots for Cole either. I did love the book very much despite these flaws :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I've heard waaay too many negative things about this one, so I think I'll be skipping it. It's a shame the romance is so lackluster though...that always ruins a book for me, so I'm glad it didn't entirely kill the book for you. Great review, dear! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been hearing similar things. Sounds pretty much like a pass. Thanks for the honest great review and for popping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My god! I want to read this book! I'm going to have to wait until Christmas break. School work is killing me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think Jasprit had some issues with this as well. I still want to pick this up though, and the cover is to die for! Great review Delaney. :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^