Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Queen of Kentucky

by Alecia Whitaker
Pages: 375
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2012
Publisher: Poppy
Fourteen-year-old Kentucky girl Ricki Jo Winstead, who would prefer to be called Ericka, thank you very much, is eager to shed her farmer's daughter roots and become part of the popular crowd at her small town high school. She trades her Bible for Seventeen magazine, buys new "sophisticated" clothes and somehow manages to secure a tenuous spot at the cool kids table. She's on top of the world, even though her best friend and the boy next door Luke says he misses "plain old Ricki Jo."

Caught between being a country girl and wannabe country club girl, Ricki Jo begins to forget who she truly is: someone who doesn't care what people think and who wouldn't let a good-looking guy walk all over her. It takes a serious incident out on Luke's farm for Ricki Jo to realize that being a true friend is more important than being popular.
Ehh so maybe I was being too cliche (since the book itself was pretty cliche even for someone like me who doesn't realize things quickly to know that) and I expected a little smooch. Yes, maybe I'm so cliched out, I thought it would happen okay? Okay. 

Ricki Jo (Erika soon to be called) is a farmer girl, in the small town in Kentucky (dur-hur!). To precisely the reason, she's going to be a freshmen. And being the "new girl", she wants to be one of the popular girls and be more of Erika then Ricki Jo. Soon to be known, she actually--kinda--fits in and through all the events, she starts to understand more of high school and the jerks that come in the package with it.

Of course, this book can be named as a very light read. But there touches on some matters that are very hard and some can be very emotional for people. Some things kind of in your face, and I really didn't expect some things to be in there, but is. Some parts did felt more older teens then freshmen, but ehh, I don't know things like being a girly girl in the first place.

Erika (Ricki Jo) in the beginning was total annoying. Maybe because I'm a strange girl that isn't girly so meeting Erika was so awful. But I kinda had the understanding feeling as well, so I just grew to get to know her and that she isn't a bad kid, she just wants to fit in. Yes, I was literally like this through the whole book, "What are you doing?! Huh? What. Are. You. Doing?!" Heck! What is she doing?

The whole book actually isn't so bad, because it teaches you finding out about yourself oh so the hard way can, yes, smack you right in the face and open your eyes--Your eyes, Erika! your eyes!--to something so much better.




My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. Oh haha that was a funny book review! My friend LOVED this book, but reading your review made me realize that this book might not be for me.

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I'm from Kentucky. :D I've seen this at the book store a lot but I'm always like nahhh...
    Ugh, you know what I hate? Girls that are so obsessed with being popular. Okay, girl. Like- being popular is lame & you just hang out with b*tchy snobs. Get ovuhh it.

    Anyyywwhoooo. Great review! :D I might read it. (probably not..) but I loved seeing what you thought of it. (: Your reviews are fun to read!

    Karen @ Cheerful Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Might give this book a go :D


    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You write such nice, clear reviews, I'm really jealous!

    I have followed you and can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is new for me! Although honestly speaking I don't read books where the character is younger than me, since i find it hard to connect with them. So, I don't know if this is for me. Still thinking it over. LOL ;p But, brilliant review!

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  6. To bad you didn't like the book :/ But I understand you, girly girls can be soooo annoying! And from what you wrote, it reminded me o something I have heard about before. It kinda reminds me of all these Disney movies, those how make you want to throw yourself out of the window after watching them.

    And I have to admit, when I first read the title, I thought it stood 'The queen of Ketchup'.... -.-'

    You write such great reviews! I really enjoy reading them!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^