Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye

by J. D. Salinger
Pages: 277
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2001 (this edition was published that year)
Publisher: Back Bay Books
There isn't a synopsis anywhere on the book so this is all I have to say for this book:
                 It speaks for itself.





That. Was. Good.

Truthfully, I'm really happy for Holden. I really, truly am. And for this book, don't go so in-depth and try to figure out what he meant there or where is the symbolism. No. Just. Read. It. Dwaahh!--it's just so, so, so, so GOOD. Yup, this is the stuff, this is the stuff. This book right here, people.

What's this damn book about? (since there's no freaking synopsis on the back) Well, it's about a boy named Holden Caulfield and how he got axed (kicked out) of Pencey Prep and after thinking, he goes out and wanders New York. It might not sound like much but, the events that happened were interesting and it just reflected things that were happening to him in a way. It was pretty funny at points in the book and I felt the emotions coming through the pages. As if Salinger's intention was to make a scene happy so that you felt happy.

And--oh, yes--Holden Caulfield! Since this book is in first person, he narrates it and more the story the more you just get to know him and his voice. And he's definitely speaking to you not telling you so that it's like a movie or something of such. Oh, yeah, he's damn awesome. Uhmm, you're just a damn badass killer Holden. He does swear a lot with damn but since I hear damn a lot, I didn't realize it was a swearing word in the first place! Ha for not realizing! (and it started rubbing off in me XP) At points I really felt him like "Noooo don't go towards the light" kind of way. But, he--I don't know--he "observes" a lot of things so that he's telling you something and then he goes off point and tells you this other thing and I'm just sitting here nodding along, knowingly. He just really needed to be caught by the catcher in the rye.

I loved the little things mentioned in this book. I can say for sure that you have to be in the mood to read this book because, well, you just gotta be in the mood for these things. And maybe some people thought Holden annoying and childish but he's awesome to me. Yup. I don't know, it's just so good (not good as in brilliant good but GOOD) that even if he veers off point and you don't get to understand what's up (that didn't bother me at all) in the end, he ties each loose thread he has set and knots them so that, in the end, there's a point and there's a message.
"I think that one of these days," he said, "you're going to have to find out where you want to go. And then you've got to start going there. But immediately. You can't afford to lose a minute. Not you."


My Rating:
 I've been handing out a lot of 5 stars
but they're just all so amazing.  XP

4 comments:

  1. Awesome book review Delaney! The way you described the book made it sound really interesting, and I think I'll give it a try!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovvvve this review! It makes me want to read the book soo bad! I love your writing!

    -Annie♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this review! Spoke the heart of the book completely! We're actually studying this text this year in school and after novels like Of Mice and Men or Animal Farm (which are fine books but yeah) it's a really nice change to get something like Catcher in the Rye with a young teen voice. Looking forward to finishing this novel!

    xx
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review! The book sounds so interesting, I feel like reading it noooow ^^


    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^