Friday, August 10, 2012

The Invention of Hugo Cabret

by Brian Selznick
Pages: 534
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2007
Publisher: Scholastic
Caldecott Honor artist Brian Selznick's lavishly illustrated debut novel is a cinematic tour de force not to be missed!

ORPHAN, CLOCK KEEPER, AND THIEF, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery. 
This book could be summed up in two words: Brilliant. Intricate. It has such intricate pictures that it's such a brilliant novel with a wonderful story behind it all. It's just totally brilliant.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret is about a boy named, Hugo Cabret. Who lives at a train station. He secretly does the works of his uncle and steals only because he doesn't have any money. Soon later, he gets caught on stealing from a toy booth with an old man. The man later to be known George Melies and takes away a notebook that Hugo possessed. By doing so, it leads to meeting Isabelle, of films, and about one single automaton that could change it all.

There has to be some things that I was thinking after reading this. Firstly, Brilliant. I really liked how it felt that you were watching a film and you just have to bask in the darkness and see what is going to come up on the screen. Secondly, I was wondering why his second book that I read before this one, WONDERSTRUCK, how I wished he wrote it like this one instead of different POV's and a kinda different style. This style, it gave more depth to the character. Hmm...anyways.

Hugo was a very likable character and more that he had such pain and secrets made you want to care for him and follow him to know that his life is going to be better than just winding up clocks at a train station and stealing from stores and picking clothes from donations. He is just one of those characters you want to hug.

Film does come into play with this book as a actual main thing. I loved how the way the whole book fit together like how the gears in clocks fit together just unfolded or how everything just happened. And how Selznick drew every picture precisely there for a reason. It said in the book at one point:
" 'I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. They have exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too. ' "- Hugo
And that's precisely what the whole book is, Everything or everyone is here for a reason. You just need to find what for.


My Rating:

Side notes: read the Credits section at the end, it's pretty cool. ;) (Or maybe I'm just a nerd like that) The movie did a pretty good job--check it out. :)

10 comments:

  1. I agree; this is an amazing book. I am now following you- www.wortication.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this book so bad but I can't it on a kindle and my mom won't buy it for me when we go to Costco. I have heard it is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the movie so I keep thinking I want to check out the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I saw the movie and I knew there was a book but I watched first! XP Check it out! It's worth your time!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Don't know if you've already won this but I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award... for more information on this go to my blog

    www.leopardkittybooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there Delaney, I'm Back!! SOrry I wasn't on my blog for a few days I was in vacation and since schools coming up soon for me i have all this school stuff i need to organize and everythings just been pretty hectic. But I'm back now, so yay!

    I love this review by the way, i read this in 5th grade and thought it was so cool. I like the quote you added! Hope to catch up on my blog, best regards!

    -josie

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and let me say I like you rnew header, and congrats for 100 followers great job Delaney!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josie! I'm so glad you're back! Yay!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful review Delaney! I haven't read the book but the movie was absolutely amazing! And, like Josie mentioned, congrats on 100 followers!!! People who aren't following you don't know what they're missing on!

    -Grace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Grace! You always leave wonderful comments. :)

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^