Friday, August 17, 2012

Shine


by Lauren Myracle
Pages: 350
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2011
Publisher: Amulet Books
When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.
Okay, I had to wrap up my emotions, opinions, and reactions at the end of this lovely book, thinking about it as a whole, before getting down to reviewing these words you're reading now. It's a very hard book to describe but it's something wonderful.

You just need to know that the title is basically all you need to know about the book. Shining that there is hope or that glow from within you. That shine is beautiful and it's wonderful.

Black Creek town had so many secrets that the more I read into the book, the more it was so surprising both to me and to Cat. Each investigation that Cat did, just made it that much more to understanding what's really wrong with Black Creek and what's happening around that nobody really knows. Cat just peels off layers and layers of what everyone's hidings and it's so wonderful.

Cat can be in my list of favorite girl characters because she can be the best friend I've wanted! Precisely so that she gets things done! She runs around town asking people she know and can be risking herself all to know who did this to her friend. She totally knows when to control herself and when to just let it out and let them have it. It's pretty awesome. Everyone else you just got to have a little of their story and their personality. And how there are people that may be terrible looking but have a heart. Or people who are kind but turn out not.  

Shine sums up that things left deep down in the dark and suddenly risen out, is the only way to get through it all and it might just be something wonderful, blooming it's way through. 



My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Although it may be a bit frustrating, I love when you cannot completely describe a book. It's like finding a treasure that's completely yours. It surpasses to level of "everyone read it!" to "don't read it- this was written just for me." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book. I've read Myracle's ttyl series and Bliss and they were either pretty good or amazing. I just like her writing style. Hopefully I'll be able to read this book sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read this book so badly! Glad to hear that you liked it. I'll check it out the next time i go to the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a heavy heavy read. The cover is beautiful!
    Follower!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^