Thursday, August 9, 2012

Love is the Higher Law

by David Levithan
Pages: 176
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2009
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

First there is a Before, and then there is an After. . . .

The lives of three teens—Claire, Jasper, and Peter—are altered forever on September 11, 2001. Claire, a high school junior, has to get to her younger brother in his classroom. Jasper, a college sophomore from Brooklyn, wakes to his parents’ frantic calls from Korea, wondering if he’s okay. Peter, a classmate of Claire’s, has to make his way back to school as everything happens around him.

Here are three teens whose intertwining lives are reshaped by this catastrophic event. As each gets to know the other, their moments become wound around each other’s in a way that leads to new understandings, new friendships, and new levels of awareness for the world around them and the people close by.

David Levithan has written a novel of loss and grief, but also one of hope and redemption as his characters slowly learn to move forward in their lives, despite being changed forever. 
9/11. The day the World Trade Center got hit. The day they both collapsed. The day the pentagon got hit as well. The day thousands died and many injured. The day, in history, that will be remembered forever.

This book is about three people who experienced 9/11 at the moment. There is Claire who was in school. Jasper who as asleep through it all. And Peter, who ditched school to buy a CD. The story goes on as the characters start to figure out <i>What is the world to them now?</i> or <i>What will happen now?</i> All three have their own way of dealing with it, are all very realistic, flawed, and just full of emotion. The book has such raw emotions that many who can remember back can relate and maybe shed a tear of two.

It's said in the LOVE IS THE HIGHER LAW, that during that time and weeks after, people became kinder, realized more important, and related to a complete stranger. People who actually remembered that day would understand the feeling. But I don't know, I was only a few years old when it happened. So I remembered about when Japan had the massive earthquake and remembered how everyone was talking about it. My teacher was discussing about it. How people were calling to know if their friends, family, or acquaintances were okay. And how people sent money over to help in whatever way it could. How we all were just connected. Waiting to see if it was going to be alright.

Love is the higher law.



My Rating:

9 comments:

  1. How we all were just connected. Waiting to see if it was going to be alright -> I LOVE this line, Delaney! <3 The title for this book is just so true! Love is the higher law! The earthquake in Japan is horrifying, but I'm relieved that everyone in the world is ready to help! Love is just something very amazing, right? It's bigger than anything! :') Aww, my comment here just get a bit cheesy LOL! *blush*

    Anyway, beautiful review, Delaney! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't cheesy, Hilda! You're comments are always wonderful. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the new layout!
    And the childcorns are cute! Okay, I made that name up, I was thinking of children and unicorns....

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book sounds so interesting but... because I live in NY I refuse to read anything 9/11 related!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing a lot about this author, I really need to check him out soon! It's like he is haunting me lol =-X I also wanted to say thank you for following my blog, I'm following yours back and may I add I really love what you have so far, I can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is probably the stupidest question but I figured I'd ask because it's been driving me crazy for MONTHS...anyway, How do you get that little box thngy around your summary of the book...the way it's all set...I've seen it many places but...still don't know how to do it...(since I'd like to avoid hours of internet searching for the answer....)

    Love the blog by the way. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw it's definitely NOT stupid. I was trying and since I am a total suckish at researching and finding what I am looking for, I actually asked around! And this girl on goodreads answered. It was helpful! Use this website for guidance:
      http://www.squidoo.com/html-backgrounds-

      There was another website that teaches you to change the color, but--gosh!--I can't find it. So, yeah, if you need to change the color like I did then you gotta look that up only because I totally suck at explaining and it won't work out well when I explain things.

      Hope that website helped, though! :)
      P.S. thanks for the follow! :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! That helps a lot!

      Delete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^