Monday, July 16, 2012

The Year of Secrets Assignment


by Jaclyn Moriarty
Pages: 340
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2005
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
The Ashbury-Brookfield pen pal program is designed to bring together the two rival schools in a spirit of harmony and "the Joy of the Envelope." But when Cassie, Lydia, and Emily send their first letters to Matthew, Charlie, and Sebastian, things don't go quite as planned. What starts out as a simple letter exchange soon leads to secret missions, false alarms, lock picking, mistaken identities, and an all-out war between the schools--not to mention some really excellent kissing.

Can I please just insert a smiley face like right here. 
You know what's so awesome about smiley faces? They can be so deceiving and so right. Like this amazing book that I can gush for days just thinking over what happened in it. It's freaking that much awesome. 

And you know why it could be so amazing? Because it's the characters. If the characters aren't so distinctive and have their voice then it's both a big let down and confusing. You see, everything that goes on in this book with the smily face on the cover is in letters, diary entries, journals, letters, emails, and notices. That was what made me think from experience of reading letter books. "Will I love it or be bored of it?" I trusted the raving reviews and I was disappointed at all. I first was trying to figure who was who and then after adapting, I knew who was who.  

One side is a private, elite school named Ashbury. And that's where Cassie, Emily, and Lydia are at. They send off letters to who knows who over at Brookfield. Cassie is very emotional on the inside that she doesn't really show Emily or Lydia and keeps it on the inside more than tell all. Plus, she got mad skills of lock picking. Emily is more the girl who follows most of the rules, a very cheery sunshiny girl and sometimes ramble too much. She will be an excellent lawyer. I would hire her anytime! Lydia is more the daring girl who pushes her other two friends out of their comfort zones and supported them both equally. Seriously, I want to read her pic book! All three girls where just very supportive and weren't annoying to read what they had to say to their pen pals. 

The rival school Brookfield is a public school known for "more criminals". In this place is Matthew, Charlie, and Seb. These three guys are the pen pals of Cassie, Emily, and Lydia. Let's get the worst one over with, please: Matthew. He isn't very nice and he scares me, not to frightening after I finished the book, but still. You will know who Matthew is, trust me, and--oh ho--don't be deceived is my wise words to you. He is pen pal to Cassie, which just broke my heart for someone like him to her. Charlie is very sweet and kind and just wants to get the girl. He gets Emily. The first reply from his was so hilarious and sarcastic and I just loved him even though he sounded pretty mean but start warming up to Emily. It was wonderful! Eh-heh, and there's Seb who I just thought was sweet. If Charlie is thought sweet, I think Seb beats him. I love Seb paring off with Lydia. They sent missions for each to do and I enjoyed every time they sent mails to each other. 

Let's get down to the fact that the name "The Joy of the Envelopes" made me start cracking up already. It was so cheesy, or maybe I'm that weird. But this book was wonderful. It was a roller coaster! Literally. One minute is could be all smooth then it gets bumpy and then it goes in looptie loops. It just was a crazy story that I LOVED. And you know those endings where it's a bit hinted that who got together with who our whatever got resolved, it's one of those endings where you can just day-dream of the characters. How much can I say that I loved it and even though it's in a "series" as stated by goodreads, it could be "read alone"?  Okay, I got it, I love it as much as I loved The Book Thief and all my favorite books like Dash and Lily's Book of Dares.

I love, Love, LOVE it!!!!!! Lalalala Love it. :D <3333
                                            
"An unusual novel with an exhilarating pace, irrepressible characters, and a screwball humor." -Booklist, starred review
"This story is truly an original."-VOYA

Definitely and totally. 

     
My Rating:

Yeah, I should stop rambling when I love a book soooo much

2 comments:

  1. I looooved this book when i read it two years ago! And then reread it last year, and then 2 months ago. :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the smiley face! :)

    An interesting review, the book is now definitely on my wish list.

    Thanks for following my blog, I am now a follower of yours.

    Sophie.

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^