Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dreamsleeves


by Coleen Murtagh Paratore
Pages: 273
Format: Paperback
Year pub: 2012
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
A powerful, radiant story about a girl who wears her dreams on her sleeve . . .

Aislinn is a girl with a lot of dreams, but due to family issues (caused mostly by her hard-drinking father), there's a lot standing in her way. While she should be enjoying the summer with friends, Aislinn is kept under lock and key and put in charge of her younger siblings. The average girl might give up, but not Aislinn. A person, she says, should write their dreams on their sleeve, putting them out there for the world to see, because there's a good chance that someone might come along and help you make your dream come true. What begins as a plea for help for her father to stop drinking, turns into a spark that has the whole community making their own dreamsleeves. At times heartbreaking, DREAMSLEEVES is also surprising, powerful, and luminously hopeful. Everyone will see a little of themselves in Aislinn, a girl with talent, ambition, and big dreams.
Dreamsleeves wasn't a difficult read. It might have because it involves growing up, being 13, being free, alcohol, not having privileges, her dad a little mad and angry at times, and just learning to dream. But how she formed the atmosphere the "mood" for the story, it just wasn't strong enough to be a hard read. When you dream, your free. Because dreaming is worth succeeding. 

Aislinn (A) takes cares of her siblings, never is allowed to be out of the house much. And dreams to be normal, to get to go to places normal girls get to go to and do. I actually had things relating to A like how we are both going to be in 8th grade. How she is 12. But the differences made me capture her more and I just felt for her more and more as her father was drinking more and more. Her mom, I really loved her mom. It made me think of those times when my mom would do something and not tell my dad or let me do something and not tell my dad. She, I could understand why A's mom would want peace in the household because once the yelling starts, it doesn't end really quickly. But, I can tell that she was fighting, and even though her husband was drinking, she still loved him. Besides, koodos to the pregnant woman! Her dad, I actually loved him. At times I would think "what is he thinking now as he's doing that, as he's yelling?" I could get an image of a father and that he can be really kind. Beck, Callie, Dooley, and baby Eddie, I think they are wonderful. They are Aislinn's siblings where they named them in alphabetical order (A,B,C,D,E, and a coming F). They misbehaved, mostly followed instructions, and just were little kids having fun. 

The setting was set in the olden days were around the Brady Bunch and Jackson 5 and going to supermarkets to get food was around $2 and that was expensive for whatever needed to buy. I was kind of shocked of this setting because until it finally clicked with all the oldie music mentioned, it could feel like present tense now. But, the setting fit the story, molding it more, and it worked!

I would really have liked it if the ending part where her father gradually gets better, Paratore would take the time to show the effects of AA and to show how he is getting better. I would really have loved it, if in the end, she would make the whole 'Dreamsleeves' thing a bigger deal, but, hey, it's still new, so I guess that's why it's "getting into action"

Thoroughly, I enjoyed reading of A and her family. Her story, her growing up. Her being free. Her family getting better. 



My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I haven't heard of this one before, but it's going on my TBR. Great review! :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going on my TBR and please follow me back at iqbal462.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^