Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Book Thief

by: Markus Zusak
Pages: 550
Format: Hardcover
Year pub: 2006
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .
Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.
This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.
Ahhh, the ending. I told the book and what happens? Yeah, a big horrific ending. Made me tear up. 

NO!!!NO!!!NO!!!
DON'T END IT LIKE THAT!!!
And, and, and, just WHY????!!!!! Just all those good peoples and just leaving a pit stomach of WHY??!!!!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak sets during the WWII in Germany where there is Hitler, Jews, and innocent people under harsh times. Uniquely, the book is narrated by Death. Why is it narrated by Death? Yes, you get to know that once you get into it. Quitely, I don't think I knew what I was expecting: thievery, books, wars? Just not sure how to sum that up.  

Our main character Liesel Meminger comes into the story with thievery of books--in where she gets taught from her Papa. Let's introduce the characters now, shall we? 
Liesel is a German and her character was different. I liked her spunk and how she maneuvered through her life. In a way, I would say she had a big heart and was living as a teenage during WWII. 
There was Rudy. Ahh, Rudy. Yes, I liked his dialogue and how he wanted a kiss from Liesel. He made me laugh and in the end made me cry. He was charming. 
Hans Hubberman is Liesel's foster dad and he taught Liesel how to read. He was a sweet dad and really cared for Liesel like his own child. When Liesel had nightmares he was there. 
Rosa Hubberman is Liesel's foster mom and even though she was harsh, with big bad words splurging out, somewhere down there, she loved Liesel just as much. But in a different way of showing it, that's all.
There was also the only Jew really dignified named Max. I liked him. He was nice and just was a willing living being in this story.
And Death? Death is a total mystery and chills me a little. 

Zusak's writing style was smooth and flowed from one chapter to another. Even though the chapters were short, it was comforting to know what would happen. Though, it took me about three chapters until I actually could just sit and read, but once I did it was nice and soothing. It's nice how he took a topic with a narrator as Death and somehow make it so reassuring that the ending just slams into your face like a newspaper. Even though I don't really like slow paced book, this book kept me occupied and let ease into the story, it's characters, and the whole significance around it.


Unworldly, this book taught me gratitude. To be thankful for what you have and how you are living now. Because back then, things were worse than ever.


My Rating:
5/5

3 comments:

  1. Great Review Delaney! You summed it up really well & it looks like a beautiful if not tragic read.
    I so want to read it & it's been sitting on My book shelf for ages but I'm a bit terrified of the "sad" ending everyone talks about and death it's narrated by death!..that's way creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love this review! This book was one of my favorites, and definitely changed my viewpoint on life for a while. And I'm your newest GFC follower! Your blog is adorable. I'd love it if you followed back, but absolutely understand if you don't want to. Anyhow, I absolutely can't wait to see more of your reviews in my dashboard. Your reviews are lovely and honest, and I definitely look forward to more in the future.

    -Maggs
    raindropreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked through this review from your archives. I'll be reading this for Gr 11 or 12 English so I'm excited :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop a comment, it always makes my day! ^^